The original church extended to the present choir loft.
The addition was sympathetic to the original church, however the shingle roof was re¬placed with tiles.
It was first thought that Numbaa would be the centre for the Shoalhaven parish; but the Shoalhaven River floods of the 1860s and 1870s caused the main settlement to move to Nowra.
Because of that, the building of the church at Numbaa, for which a foundation stone had been laid in 1869, did not proceed.
He immediately embarked on an extensive programme of school building, then church extensions and renovations.
In 1959, the building of Sacred Heart Church, Bomaderry; in 1963, further renovations to St Michael’s in 1969; the building of Our Lady, Help of Christians’ Church, Culburra in 1978; Holy Spirit Church, Vincentia, in 1983 and the re-establishment of a Catholic High School in Nowra, with St John the Evangelist High School. St Michael's, Nowra is a Gothic Revival church opened on 30 September 1877.
Weekday Mass was in the church and sometimes in the presbytery (which was still at Numbaa).
Other centres also constructed their own church buildings.
With over 9,000 Catholics, six churches, three other Mass centres and over 600 children in St Michael’s School, much has been achieved in this parish in 150 years. The church is built of squared rubble stonework in courses and originally had a shingle roof.
The Sisters of St Joseph left Berry in 1978, and St Patrick’s School closed the following year. The stonework is generally in good condition and despite several additions over the years, the southern and western elevations still indicate the original character of the building.
The parish of Shoalhaven-Ulladulla was established in 1863 with Fr David D’Arcy as the first resident priest.
In 1865 the Mass centre at Nowra was rebuilt and it was to remain the Mass centre for Nowra for another twelve years.